Sunday, July 19

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted." - John Lennon

I really like that quote- in terms of wasting time with other people. Hanging out with friends vs working on homework, for example. Every late night paper has been worth the time I spent with other people- even if just at the time.

What about the other time I waste? When I open my Internet browser, this is what happens:
02. elmhurst e-mail.
07. found magazine. (1x daily)
08. a softer world. (1x daily)
09. youtube (for subscriptions).
10. twitter.
11. yahoo e-mail.
12. postsecret (on Sundays).

How much time do I waste every day looking at daily update things? FML, GMH, and TFLN update multiple times daily! What could I be doing instead? Does it really matter how fcked up some one's life is? Seeing those FML's remind me how much better my life is than a lot of people.

It also makes me think of what other people might say:
"Today, my mother died from HIV/AIDS. FML."
"Today, my children couldn't eat because my job was outsourced. FML."
"Today, I was late for work because I was hungover and slept through my alarm. This will be the third job I lose this month. FML."
"Today, my daughter won't get her prescription medication because my health insurance fell through. FML."

Instead of reading about peoples fcked up lives, I could be working toward fixing ^those^ problems in the world. I could be researching advocacy groups and non-profit organizations. How much of my life am I willing to waste?

It's so easy to forget how fortunate and privileged I am. It is easy to just say "well I'm doing more than a lot of people, so I'm good." This is a poem I'm really in to:

When they came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.

There is so much more for me to do. I hope I can realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment