Tuesday, July 6

“Open confession is good for the soul” Scottish Proverb

So. I'm working on my application for study away in Guadalajara, Mexico. I've come to realize that I'm really nervous and scared. I have such a battle going on in my head: it feels like the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. One half of me is fretting about the language, and the service agency with which I'll get paired, and the money, and the culture shock, and the closet. The other half of me knows that if I don't do this, I will regret it every single day for the rest of my life. I know that this is the right thing to do. I know this is the right time to do it. It is time for me to become independent and to grow up. It is also time that I become fluent in Spanish O:) I'm nervous, though, to be a gringo. I'm nervous that people in Mexico will see me as fulfilling my obligation to ease the "white mans burden". I am choosing the International Partnership for Service-Learning and Leadership because it will be what is most different, and yet most necessary for my intellectual, academic, spiritual, personal, and global growth. This is the right thing to do, and yet I am terrified. I believe it will be my daily hope and prayer that I become ready for this challenge, and if not, I hope God and my family and my friends will help me through it. So, for now, I will wait it out in prayer. I will be honest in my application. I will focus. I will anticipate the people I will meet and the experiences I will have and remember that they will all be worth the discomfort and fear. All things are possible with God.

1 comment:

  1. " This is the right thing to do, and yet I am terrified."

    It is when we are most terrified that we are doing the right thing. If you weren't scared, I'd be worried.

    ReplyDelete