Thursday, February 10

A Few Things I've Learned the Hard Way

01. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I have privilege anymore.
02. The rays of the sun actually do burn more severely along the equator.
03. Just because it's wireless doesn't mean it's free.
04. Men will cat call you regardless of what you look like.
05. But not always.
06. A semester is a really long time.
07. The day you accidentally have more than $15 on you is the day you will get robbed.
08. In a city of nearly 3 million people, there are people who will return your belongings, even though all the cash is gone.
09. Professors will not always care that your first language is not the same as theirs.
10. "Mandatory" does not always mean mandatory.
11. Spanish. (a thing I am learning the hard way...)
12. Life moves forward even when you feel like you're moving sideways.
13. You can't always be known.
14. Things won't always be fixable with an prettily worded e-mail.
15. Just because you're different doesn't mean you should expect everyone accommodate you.
16. But there is always an opportunity for conversation and learning.
17. Holding grudges doesn't really get you anywhere.
18. When the orientation leader says that that tarantulas are not more afraid of you than you are of them, he is not kidding.
19. It doesn't do any good to be afraid.
20. "Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn't stop for anybody." [Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky]

5 comments:

  1. This rings of some stress and some hard learning. I love you, I'm thinking of you often, I'm praying for you.

    I'm also feeling your love with every comment on my blog. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Perks quote, come see the movie with me ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, love. I miss you, and think of you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am thinking of you during this time of learning and transition. I have come to believe that, more often than not, growth comes from pain/ difficulty. I learned that the hard way ;) Hope you're growth is amazing... and that the pain/ difficulty isn't too much to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm stealing that lost quote because it's awesome.

    also i like this entire post. :)

    ReplyDelete