Monday, November 18

I Made It Til Now

If you have seen me around the months of October and November, you know how strongly I feel about all things Christmas happening far too soon. I get so frustrated as soon as I see advertisements with jingle bells.  My toes tingle with fury at the manifestations of capitalism and addiction to material possessions that bombard every media outlet with which I come into contact.  I wonder why people feel so compelled to skip Thanksgiving and jump right to Christmas.  Despite all the horrid parts of history that are typically glossed over in Thanksgiving celebrations, I think there is value in expressing gratitude- especially in the hopes of encouraging humility.  Thanksgiving, for me, is an important holiday.

I have to swallow my poor attitude and acknowledge that right now, I have strung twinkle lights in my room, added a Christmas channel to my Pandora radio account, burned a spruce scented candle, and prepared hot cocoa (with a dash of candy cane flavored vodka.)  My poor roommates, bless their hearts, heard me belt out Silent Night, Silver Bells, and Baby It's Cold Outside.  My neighbors downstairs heard me hammering into the wall repeatedly in order to get the twinkle lights in just the right spot.  I have given in to cultural Christmas. (Only a week and a half early- mind you!)

The thing is, I miss winter. Snow. Chill. Scarves. Boots. Carols. Walking Tucker in the crisp evening. Decorating a tree. Giggling over old ornaments.  Setting up the manger.  As the semester grows closer to an end and my excitement grows for travels back to the Midwest and the East coast, I find myself longing for the sense of warmth I feel around holiday time.  A few days in December when Christmas feels like the Christmas I have always known is not enough for me this year.  I am hoping to create a sense of holiday, of anticipation of new life, of renewal right here in my own home. My tiny little room.

To those who have felt slighted or judged by my anti-Christmas-Before-Thanksgiving sentiments, I do apologize. I won't be as big of a Grinch this year.

2 comments:

  1. Anti-Christmas before Thanksgiving used to be my mantra. If you may remember, I refused to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving on principle alone (even going so far as to walk out of stores with it playing). But having worked the last two years at retail giants, I have had to give in. And you know what, it isn't so bad. There is something wonderful about extending the season (not the shopping, but the feeling, the joy, the lights). Four weeks isn't long enough--let's start early.
    Good on you!
    Can I get a tree yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you and I can chop it down together :) #whoneedsaman

      Delete