Thursday, January 6

¡que chévere!

Hola amigos y amigas!

It is difficult to not continue this entry en Español because I am already learning so much here. If you haven't heard, I am spending the next 4 months in Quito, Ecuador. I arrived on January 4 in the late hours of the night and have since been challenged and stretched in ways I didn't know I could be. I know first that I will never complain again of an awkward silence! It's even more difficult when the people in the room are talking so quickly you think you'll never catch any of it!

My host family is really neat! I have a host mom, Karla, and her husband, Gabriel. I am pretty sure there is a third person who lives here, but I have actually forgotten her name! I live in a gorgeous apartment, probably about the same size as my parents' apartment at home. I have my own room, and it is blue! I have a bathroom that I use, but I don't know that it is my own, so I keep my shampoo and things in my room. Today, I unpacked all my clothes into my closet, which makes me feel more at home.

I met some of Karla's family: her mom, and sister. I also met Gabriel's mom; she walked with me from the bus today. I will admit: I am a bit nervous about one of the buses I have to take. Karla took me one way in the morning and I went a different way with Gabriel's mom, and I don't exactly know the neighborhood well, so I don't exactly know where to get off the bus. I guess I will just try and do the exact same thing I did today and hope that I can find it. I don't really have a choice, I guess! My second bus is easier because it goes directly to the university.

Today was orientation at the university. There are about 200 international students; there is one other person in my program. Two of the classes I chose to take are in the category of Spanish for Foreigners, so I imagine there will be international students in them.

Buh. I have a bit of a pit in my stomach when I think about the bus.. ah well! I will figure it out, somehow. Part of the adventure, right? Well, off to bed for me! I want to catch as much sleep as I can before I start classes on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are there and safe. Good luck with the bus. I will be thinking of you!!

    Big hugs,
    Laura :)

    ReplyDelete