Tuesday, April 13

"If you want to be happy, be." Leo Tolstoy

This may be a cheesy entry, but it is about Glee. Yes, the TV show. It started again today. Season 1 continued. Or is it season 2? Who knows. What I do know, though, is how I feel with regard to Glee. They picked the perfect title for that show. I feel so happy.

But I think there is a lot more to this. I like Tolstoy's words. If I want to be happy, all I need to do is let myself be happy. I'm not saying that I can choose how I feel, or choose how I respond to the world around me. What I can choose is what attitude I take for my life. This is my life. I don't need to be sad or stifled because my best friend is PMSing, or because another friend is overwhelmed with work and deadlines. I can love them and empathize with them, but I do not need to embrace their emotions as my own.

I also don't need a reason to be happy. If I want to be happy, I can be. Every individual is entitled to happiness, and that includes me. As much as I want to give to others (emotionally, spiritually, physically), I need to keep those things for myself, too. I don't like the idea of withholding from others to keep for myself, but joy is a renewable resource. I hope the people I love can learn that they deserve to embrace happiness for themselves, too.

1 comment:

  1. I love this entry. I think it is a wonderful though to remind yourself to love the ones going through things, but to not take those things upon yourself. And yes, we are always entitled to be happy--you never need a reason.

    ReplyDelete