Thursday, April 1

"Never make a defense or an apology until you are accused." King Charles I

Tonight, I participated in a relatively common experience, but still it was one I'd not yet had. Today is Maundy Thursday. It is the day in the Christian church when we remember the last supper Jesus had with his disciples before he was killed. At tonights service, I was given the opportunity to wash peoples feet. The first man who came to my basin asked if he could wash my feet as well, and I accepted. A mother came with her young daughter, and they washed each others feet. The mother asked the daughter if she was thinking about Jesus doing this same action, too. Others came and went in silence. Then a young boy, I would guesstimate around 8th or 9th grade, came and sat on the chair and started apologizing. His tone was not one of repentance or cleansing, but he kept saying "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." as if I would rather be doing something else. I wonder if there were other things on his heart. What drew him to leave his table and sit in the chair in the corner so that I may wash his feet? What may he be thinking now, mere hours later? I kept telling him not to be sorry, that I was glad to do this for him, that I wanted to. He wouldn't look at me or at his feet, but kept looking elsewhere. It is my hope that whatever might be lingering in his spirit will be shaken more with tomorrow's remembrance of Jesus' death, and that his spirit will be calmed by the new covenant created by Christ's resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment